Re: [Pulp-list] gopher migration

On 11/05/2010 03:31 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
On 11/05/2010 01:28 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
On 11/04/2010 04:07 PM, Jeff Ortel wrote:
All,

The changes to migrate pulp to use gopher[1] have been pushed to
master. For the most
part, developers and users will not notice any significant differences.

Change Summary:
*<git>/src/pulp/messaging package replaced with gopher.messaging
*<git>/src/pulp/client/agent package replaced with gopher plugin
defined as:
-<git>/etc/gopher/plugins/pulp.conf
-<git>/src/pulp/client/gopher/pulp.py
* Packaging (rpm) changes:
- pulp (rpm) requires: gopher-common
- pulp-client requires: gopher
*<git>/bin/pulpd (removed), replaced by gopherd
*<git>/etc/init.d (removed)

question:

Any reason you decided to call the package 'gopher' vs 'python-gopher'?
Does it go beyond the scope of a python lib and has general
functionality as a standalone tool?

one of the reasons I ask is you are stepping into the realm of confusing
people with the old Gopher protocol and tools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_%28protocol%29

"Although largely supplanted by the Web in the years following, the
Gopher protocol is still in use by enthusiasts, and a small population
of actively-maintained servers remains."

You bring up a good point. I considered this when naming the project but decided that given the status of the gopher protocol, it shouldn't be an issue. That said, if others feel strongly, we can certainly rename it.