Re: [Pulp-list] cli output question

On 09/30/2010 09:30 AM, Jason Dobies wrote:

On 09/30/2010 12:11 PM, Jason L Connor wrote:
Hi All,

Since I've been working on the cli a lot this sprint, I've noticed an
inconsistency in the output from certain commands. Namely, if the
command is a concatenation of two words (e.g. packagegroup), we refer to
these entities as 'packagegroup' or 'package group' at random in our
messages to the user.

I'd like to see a standard adopted here, either always refer to them as
'packagegroup' or as 'package group' in the output.

My vote is for the separated version in our messages to the user (e.g.
'package group'), and only use the concatenated version when referring
to the command name.

Thoughts?

+1 to the separated.

likewise, +1 for separated

I don't think you'll have time for this, but I'd also like to see our
auth messages handled consistently. At times you're told "-u must be
specified" and at others you get a message about authentication failing
that comes directly from the server (and is enclosed in quotes, you know
the one I'm talking about). For some reason I think there's even a
different message when using pulp-client.

If we don't get to that this sprint, I'd like to see that in CLI
enhancements soon.

agreed .. I felt bad about how user-unfriendly it was when I implemented the feature but never carved out time to get back to it in a later sprint.

Jason is working on a refactor that will make it much easier to communicate with -u/-p are required but we still will need to work on the server side error handling to at least differentiate between the possible error conditions:

 * Bad username and pass
 * Bad certificate
 * Missing cert

Mike