[Pulp-list] pulp command line options

Jason L Connor jconnor at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 20:44:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 12:39 -0400, Jason Dobies wrote:
> For some reason this is taking me a bit to digest, but my gut instinct
> is that I like this. I think I'm trying to draw a parallel to other
> tools that do something similar but am drawing a blank.
>
> Do we only have --password then and no shortcut to it? I think this is
> fine since that should only be used in scripts; once we get the
> echo-less password entry in place I suspect that will be common usage.
>
> What does a user create look like? I know that's always been a tricky
> example we use when talking about how the CLI reads. I think I
> remember
> in the new CLI refactor the example being:
>
> pulp-admin --username jdob --password awesome user create --username
> jconnor --password lessawesome
>
> So does that now become:
>
> pulp-admin -u jdob --password awesome user create -u jconnor
> --password
> lessawesome

Actually, I was going to quietly allow -p for both packages and
passwords because there's never an instance where they'll collide.

For the most part, the -p, --password option is tied to the script and
not to actions and the -p, --package option is tied to an action and not
to the script.

So the user create command would look like:
pulp-admin -u jconnor -p elite user create -u jdob -p dweeb

Now the one exception is the auth login command which has its own
password option, which would look like:
pulp-admin auth login -u jconnor -p elite

But the only confusing instance may be the package info or install
commands, which would look like:
pulp-admin -u jdob -p dweeb package install -p
oh-cant-live-without-my-emacs.rpm

Which, while a tad confusing, I was going to make the user suck up
anyway.
--
Jason L Connor
Software Engineer