Re: [Pulp-list] repo sync and the pulp-admin client

On 09/17/2010 07:47 AM, Jason L Connor wrote:
Hi All,

I've put repo sync progress into the the pulp-admin client. I've also
added a GET handler on the uri: /pulp/api/repositories/<id>/sync/, that
returns a list of the recent sync operations including an on-going one,
if applicable.

So here's what I'm thinking. Currently the repo sync command waits for
the repo sync to complete, while (now) displaying progress information.
I want to also allow the command to start a sync and exit, and a second
command to check on the status of the sync.

So I'm looking for suggestions for the following:

* What should the second command be called?
   (I'm leaning toward: syncstatus)

why not just 'status'? Could show the currently running sync or if not syncing just return the most recent results.

* What should the default behavior of repo sync be?
   (I'm leaning toward: start the sync and exit)

I very much prefer we start the sync and start polling for status but we message the user:

"sync started, you can safely CTRL+C this current command and the sync will continue. To resume watching status please run 'pulp-admin repo syncstatus <id>'"

Allow the user to safely quit the running command and come back later with the syncstatus command to poll if they desire. My justification is that in the case where you do want to watch the progress it takes an extra step to restart a 2nd command and start polling. brew behaves this way and I think it works really well.

Mike