[Pulp-list] Asynchronous Task Dispatching

Hi All,

I'm looking for some feed back on the responsiveness of our system.

Currently asynchronous tasks are executed from an in-memory task queue.
This task queue uses a dispatcher thread that wakes up every .5 seconds
and checks to see if it needs to run anything.

We're currently in the process of making our tasks persistent by pushing
them into the database. This means that the dispatcher thread must now
query the database and deserialize tasks in order to check to see if it
needs to run anything.

Personally, I think hitting the database and performing task
deserialization twice a second is going to create a lot of io waits. I'd
rather slow the dispatcher thread down to something more reasonable, but
this will affect how responsive we are in kicking off async tasks.

I'm looking for suggestions for how long the dispatcher thread should
sleep. Preferably balancing the io with responsiveness.

I've got a time in mind, but I'll refrain from suggesting it until I get
some feedback.

--
Jason L Connor
linear on freenode #pulp