Re: [Pulp-list] Date and Time Feedback Requested!

Sorry about the delay for responding to this one.

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 15:22 -0500, Jeff Ortel wrote:
> Why not just standardize on a standard format like ISO 8601?

After looking into iso8601, it seems to have everything we're looking
for:
      * representation of date and time with timezone information
      * representation of time intervals and repeating time intervals
      * readily supported by all major languages
      * support in python's standard library
      * python-iso8601 package already in fedora and epel for some of
        the more esoteric functionality

Given this, I would actually like to adopt it for all of pulp's date and
time input and output. We already support it on parts of our API. I vote
we standardize on it and convert the rest of pulp to its use.

> So, the pulp server will convert all dates to UTC before
> using/storing, right?

I'm actually not sure of the right approach here. I think we want pulp
to utilize date and times according to the current local time, taking
into account daylight savings time, timezones, etc. Personally, I think
it would be easier to store date and time information by the local
timezone. But make the timezone information explicit.

--
Jason L Connor
linear on freenode #pulp