Re: [Pulp-list] GC Repo APIs

On 08/23/2011 07:56 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 08/24/2011 05:58 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/GCRepoApis

That's the first pass at what the repo-related APIs will look like in
the generic content world (there may be some missing areas, but that's
the bulk of the base functionality). Let me know if you have any
thoughts or questions. If anyone wants I can take some time on
Thursday's deep dive and walk through them.

Those look quite usable for the GSv3 use case, although I suspect I will
eventually need get_*_config utility APIs to match the update_*_config
ones.

I kinda half-assed those "utility" APIs because frankly, they're boring to me at this point and I'm lazy. But you're absolutely right, those will be flushed out with those sorts of functions as well based on need.

I was initially concerned about the 'one importer' limitation (since
GSv3 will likely have two alternative distribution channels for content,
potentially within the same repo, depending on whether or not we're
willing to release the information to Akamai for transfer). However, I
realised it makes more sense to deal with the management of multiple
distribution channels within the importer itself on a case-by-case basis

That's how I see it too. The importer can support multiple sources, but from Pulp's point of view it's just making a single sync call. And actually, the individual sync config could even be used to key the importer into which of those multiple sources to do on a given sync, so in theory we'd be able to sync a subset of them.

> rather than trying to define a general purpose mechanism for cooperation
> between arbitrary importers.

That's exactly it, the complications this could introduce makes my head hurt :)

Regards,
Nick.

Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it.

--
Jay Dobies
RHCE# 805008743336126