Re: [Pulp-list] API: Consider to only return JSON parseable results

On 12/08/2011 02:59 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
100% agree. We're taking a much more REST-like approach with our APIs in
the future (truth be told, the current ones are a bit sloppy) where all
of the responses will be JSON parsable in the future.

There are a couple of v2 APIs that don't behave that way yet. As I recall (and from looking at my current server interaction code), the offenders are at least:
- deleting objects from collections
- the sync_repo action

(I'm not using publish_repo yet, but I assume it has the same problem as sync_repo)

For sync_repo, I think it would be useful to return the new sync_history entry generated for the sync operation.

When you get around to adding support for asynchronous explicit sync requests, it may make sense to put that under a separate URL (e.g. <repo_id>/actions/async/sync_repo) and leave the existing URL as a potentially long-running operation. (Then again, it may make more sense to be async by default and have the synchronous API use an alternate URL)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane