[Pulp-list] Pulp's choice of middleware

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 23:23:35 UTC 2011

The primary reason we selected QPID is that is the upstream for Red Hat's MRG (Messaging,
Real-time and Grid) product.  Although, MRG is tuned for performance running on RHEL, I
don't know of any specific performance advantages of QPID over RabbitMQ or ActiveMQ.  By
selecting QPID, pulp can be deployed using either QPID or MRG.  That said, your request to
make it pluggable in Pulp (Gofer really) or to support other middleware is reasonable.
However, unlike the Java, not all the python (MOM) client libs conform to an API standard
such as JMS (Except ActiveMQ - pyactivemq, I think.).  So, making it pluggable would
probably require a significant effort.

I believe there is compatibility between QPID 0.6+ and RabbitMQ (via AMQP) so they /may/
be interchangeable but we haven't tested it.

Hope this helps.