[Pulp-list] Feedback on sync_repo() result reporting for v2 plugins

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 23:00:15 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 07:38 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 04:28 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> On 12/14/2011 06:49 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
>>> I'm not ignoring this, I'm just so deep into the unit association stuff
>>> that I'm afraid I'd do physical damage to my brain if I were to try to
>>> shift gears and think about this. I'll take a look in the next few days.
>>
>> No worries - the "jam it all into the exception message" approach is a
>> tolerable workaround for the moment, since the key requirement is for
>> admins to be able to see the partial sync logs for jobs that fail, so
>> they have some chance of figuring out what went wrong.
>>
>> I just wanted to bring it up as something to look at before the plugin
>> APIs are declared stable.
>
> Well there's the trick. I'm gonna go the Google route and call them
> "beta" for as long as possible so I can always make these changes and
> tell people the APIs were never stable. :)

Heh, it works to my benefit to - it means I can say "this is annoyingly
difficult" and know that the situation can still be improved.

I figure between the need to support your existing yum-based repos and
my "let rsync do most of the work" directory tree mirroring we should be
able to thrash out something fairly reasonable (especially once I start
working on the rsync delta file transfer process for snapshot trees that
will also involve a custom distributor plugin).

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane