Re: [Pulp-list] Simple ping service

On 02/17/2011 09:19 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
Hello,

I have created a very simple ping service that just respond with current timestamp. I use it for my "alive" script. I prefer such a simple service because other services could likely pull some data
from database. The ping service should be fast. It also does not require any authentication.

It could return the pulp version rather than current time but I did not find a way to retrieve version. I guess its not stored in the codebase yet.

What you think?

Hmmm, seems like that would say that the server is up but gives no
indication that the connection to the database is still alive, etc.
Perhaps storing the version or even updating a counter in the DB
would ensure that the entire path is alive.  You could also expand
the scope and measure the latency for a db write to get an idea of
the load / response times.

Disclaimer, not sure of the initial scope of your work so this may
be a bit off...

-mark