[Pulp-list] Celery and the death of pulp tasking and gofer

Hi All,

I've been watching this project grow for the last 6 months or so, and I
think it's time to seriously consider it.

Celery is a distributed task queue framework for python. It can use an
number of back ends, including mongodb and rabbitmq. It allows tasks to
be run synchronously and asynchronously, locally and remotely. It has
task persistence already implemented, as well as scheduling, including
retries.

It now runs on python 2.4+ (which it didn't used to), making it meet our
need to be rhel 5 compatible.

It's home page is here:
http://celeryproject.org/

I propose we take a very serious look at celery to replace both the pulp
tasking libraries and gofer project for our asynchronous and remote
execution needs.

It's feature set is well beyond what we've achieved, and I believe in a
single sprint we could replace the existing libraries and lend our
creative talents to a project already implementing the hard bits instead
of rolling our own here.

--
Jason L Connor
Software Engineer