Re: [Pulp-list] pulp debugging

On 03/07/2011 05:26 PM, Jason L Connor wrote:
Hi all,

I've added a new debugging feature into pulp. It's a server-side
debugging module along with a server section configuration option:
debugging_mode:<bool>. If the option is 'true', it sets part of pulp to
watch for a file called: /var/log/pulp/stacktrace-dump. Every time
someone touches the file, pulp will write the stacktraces of all active
treads out to apache's error file. The file does not need to exist when
pulp starts. However, pulp does need to respond to at least one request
before it can write the stacktraces out. The stacktraces do not
interfere with pulp's other activities.

I still plan to implement an interactive debugger that works on a
similar principal. But will need more time and design (to be effective,
it'll have to halt all the treads in the system) and implement.

I hope this helps.

Happy debugging.

this is awesome! It reminds me of one of my fav Java features: kill -QUIT that will dump the threads and their stacks to a file. very useful for examining the state of an application.

cheers,
Mike