Re: [Pulp-list] Api.update()

On 03/09/2011 10:42 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:

On 03/09/2011 11:18 AM, Jeff Ortel wrote:
After working through the "Update Semantics" story is seemed to me the
proposed update signature:

Api.update(delta={})

was kind of odd.  It was originally proposed this way to be more
comparable with how the update() was being used whereby a model object
was begin passed.  Now that semantics have been changed and a dictionary
(delta) of changed fields and/or keywords is passed, it seems to make
more sense to pass the object ID separate and *not* in the delta.

So, unless there are objections, I'm changing the signature to be:

Api.update(id, delta={})

However, I am bullet proofing the impls to ignore the 'id' within the
'delta'.

+1

I took a similar approach with the changes to the repo update messages
sent to consumers. I wanted the ability to send an updated host list
without resending the repo object itself so that the consumer has a
better idea of what it was that changed. So instead of my first approach:

update(repo, host_urls, gpg_keys)

I went with:

update(repo_id, repo, host_urls, gpg_keys)

I prefer that approach, it just feels cleaner IMO.

One thing about that signature though, it'd be a legal call to just say
Api.update('repo1') without passing in any deltas, which doesn't make
much sense. It's not really a concern (the caller should know better
than to do that), just curious if there's a reason for it.

Oh, my bad. I described the signature as delta={} for illustration. It will be implemented as: update(id, delta)

- --
Jay Dobies
RHCE# 805008743336126
Freenode: jdob