Re: [Pulp-list] Bulk Repo Creation - Thoughts/Comments?

On 03/30/2011 09:54 AM, Todd B Sanders wrote:
On 03/30/2011 09:41 AM, Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
On 03/30/2011 08:37 AM, Todd B Sanders wrote:
On 03/29/2011 10:40 AM, Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
On 03/29/2011 10:28 AM, Todd B Sanders wrote:
https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/ProductRepos

Would it make sense to keep repo create as it is and add another feed type, so instead of

$ pulp-admin repo bulk-create --feed=yum:http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp --groupid=pulp

we would do,

$ pulp-admin repo create --feed=bulk:http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp --groupid=pulp

This was there is always a single create command to run instead of another bulk-create command.

~ Prad

This brings up another issue. We are going to need to support file sync very very soon. Also, we need to consider the fact that Pulp repositories can hold multiple content types (i.e. rpms and files). As you an I discussed briefly, we might want to move to something like:

$ pulp-admin repo create --id=pulp-f13-i386 --name=pulp-f13-i386 --feed=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp/fedora-13/i386/ --type=yum,file

With this, how would you suggest we handle the "bulk-create"?

-Todd

1. we can isolate feed type from content; To me feed type doesnt necessarily mean content type. I could have a yum or local feed which pulls down rpms, distributions and Isos. So we could do something like

* pulp-admin repo create --id=pulp-f13-i386 --feed=bulk/yum/local/clone:http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp/fedora-13/i386/ --content=rpm,deb,file

which mean repo pulp-f13-i386 supports rpms,debs and files and nothing else.

2. Or we can go the route where we pull everything unless restricted

* pulp-admin repo create --id=pulp-f13-i386 --feed=bulk/yum/local/clone:http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/pulp/pulp/fedora-13/i386/ --ignore=deb

this would pull everything in the url structure unless we specifically skip a type.

Let us know If anyone has any other thoughts

~ Prad
I agree with your comment: "feed type doesnt necessarily mean content type". So, why do we need the "bulk/yum/local/clone" prefix? Doesn't the --content tell us this?

-Todd

We use this prefix to determine which sync to invoke eg: Yum, RHN, Local or clone even(origin/parent). If we can use content values such that we can easily determine the feed types then I guess we can drop the prefix. Since our --content is strictly the type of content, it might be hard to predict the feed type from it. Fo example, lets say --content=rpm,file; this could mean any feed yum/rhn or local as we can get rpms from any of these feeds.

~ Prad