[Pulp-list] Importer Sync APIs

http://blog.pulpproject.org/2011/11/21/importer-sync-apis/

I know the week of Thanksgiving isn't the best time to ask for deep thought, but I'm asking anyway.

The above blog entry talks about an importer's sync_repo call. I talk about the expectations I am making about the order and types of steps the importer will want to take when synchronizing a repo. I also mention what the conduit calls the plugin will use to feed information back into Pulp.

This is hugely important. If we're too limiting, we're going to prevent some plugins from being able to do what they want. If the conduit calls aren't structured right, the plugin is gonna have to thrash the database to do what it needs to do.

I'm asking for anyone who can spare a few minutes (it's lengthy, go figure) to take a read and let me know what you think.

Specifically, I'd like the guys who are very familiar with grinder and the current RPM sync process to make sure we're still going to be able to sync RPMs in the new model (I imagine I'd get yelled at if I prevented that).

I also know there are at least two other teams interested in writing plugins that I'd like to give some feedback on how this will meet their needs.

Then there are the people who are just curious. I want your input too. This is too big and ambitious for me to get right on my own.

Thanks  :D

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp