Re: [Pulp-list] Pulp Beyond 1.0

On 04/04/2012 02:12 PM, John Morris wrote:
Hi John,

If you want to see some of what is possible with the new repository
model in v2.0, you may want to take a look at PulpDist:
http://pulpdist.readthedocs.org

I'm using Pulp as the back end for an rsync-based mirrorring network
with REST API control over the individual jobs.

Rsyncing what sort of files? RPM repos?

The pulpdist docs do answer my question: pulpdist is used to 'manage
arbitrary directory trees', so really any content. From what I can tell,
the same code to sync repos around could also sync video files around,
and I could write a plugin analogous to my 'repoview' plugin to generate
video thumbnails.

Yeah, I've deliberately written the PulpDist plugins to make as few assumptions as possible about the content - they're intended to be a "lowest common denominator" kind of deal while still being more bandwidth friendly than transferring whole files around all the time.

The closest they get to custom metadata are the PROTECTED files used at downstream sites to tell the plugins to leave particular directories alone, as well as the STATUS files used at the top level of snapshot trees to say when a directory is ready for synchronisation (or has already been synchronised).

One more plugin could tell a local database to start
serving the now-locally-stored video from local content servers instead
of remote ones. (Don't worry, I'm not really talking about putting
pulpdist into anyone's production site. Yet. ;)

Heh, I can hardly complain too much if anyone starts using my unfinished code when I've been doing the exact same thing to the Pulp team with respect to their v2 REST and plugin APIs. In truth, I don't actually mind so long as people have a clear understanding that they'll be building on a still unstable foundation :)

FWIW, aside from the updates needed to use the new Pulp APIs properly, and possibly switching the command line client over to the new pulp-admin plugin architecture, I don't anticipate any more drastic changes like last month's complete redesign of the approach to PulpDist site configuration.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane