Re: [Pulp-list] v2 Client Login/Logout

On 04/04/2012 09:44 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 04/05/2012 03:47 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
In fact, now that you mention it, the better approach would be to rename
the old client to pulp-v1-admin and start calling this pulp-admin
directly. I may try to slide that in soon.

A related question - have there been many changes in the client
implementation layout? I dig into a few of the existing CLI internals to
get Pulp server access from the PulpDist web UI and the plugin test
suite working over OAuth (and playing nice with Django's logging
configuration), and I assume I'm eventually going to run into an upgrade
that breaks my customisations (entirely my fault of course, since I
*know* I'm messing around with undocumented internal details - some with
underscore prefixed names, no less!).

So I expect to have to rewrite parts of my client-side code [1] at some
point, I'm just wondering if "at some point" actually means "when I
upgrade from Pulp 0.267" :)

Ya, once you get into the mid 0.270s you'll see the changes. The idea is the client-lib package will be documented enough where I should be able to point you towards the docs to learn everything you need to know, but it's just not there yet. So here's a quick summary.

= Server Stub =
The actual piece you instantiate with the credentials/location of the server is largely unchanged. I think it's renamed, but the info passed to it is very similar.

One nice change is that the REST log filename is now specified to the constructor. If you pass that in, the REST for all calls will be logged to that file. It's been really helpful already to see exactly what's coming back from the server.

= Bindings =
The bindings themselves, when created, accept the server you've configured. Methods have moved, but now that I think about it you may not even be using these yet since the v1 client didn't have most of the APIs you'd want to be using.

This is the biggest change. The v1 client wrapped every server-side exception into a generic ServerRequestException and lost a good deal of data on what the error was.

Now there are client-side exceptions that, for the most part, correspond directly to the HTTP status codes that may come out of Pulp (e.g. BadRequestException, NotFoundException). Pulp now has a common REST exception format and a standard set of data for each status code, so we're able to unpack that information in the exception itself. See pulp.gc_client.api.exceptions (and expect that the gc_client part will be renamed when we start trashing v1 code and moving the v2 stuff over).

Also see pulp.gc_client.framework.exceptions. That's my client-side exception handler that rips out the relevant data from each exception type and builds up a consistent error message. It should help explain what I mean by the extra data dependent on exception type.

Each call into the server will return one of two response object classes:

* Response - Means the call was executed on the server and got back a 200 or 201. It contains the actual code and the body of the response.

* AsyncResponse - Means the server returned a 202 (that's Accepted right? I feel like I'm confusing 201 and 202). It contains a standard block of information on the task as it's running on the server. That information, by its nature, take a bit to interpret, so that AsyncResponse class also provides a number of methods to easily interpret the state (e.g. is_running, is_waiting, is_postponed).

Many calls have the potential to return either response type. For instance, if I try to delete a repo, it'll probably return Response. But if that repo is currently busy, I'll get back an AsyncResponse. There are a number of places in the v2 client code where I do an instance check to determine what happened and react accordingly.

Feel free to ping me once you start looking at it. I'm just not on top of the docs for it yet and this e-mail wasn't a perfect substitute for that yet.

Regards,
Nick.

[1]
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=pulpdist.git;a=blob;f=src/pulpdist/core/pulpapi.py