Re: [Pulp-list] Consumer Group - quick question on APIs

On 04/10/2012 02:47 PM, Brad Buckingham wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking over the Consumer Group APIs (https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/UGREST-ConsumerGroups) and have a few questions.

For the 'Create', 'Add consumer to a group' and 'Delete consumer from a group' APIs, is it possible to provide a list of consumer IDs in the request to Pulp?

In many scenarios (create/add/delete), we'll already know a list of consumers; therefore, we would prefer to minimize the number of requests to the Pulp server.

For create, you can add multiple consumers at the same time. For add and deleting consumer right now, you can't. The reason we did not add it was because it is hard to check and raise exception for key-value attribute conflict between multiple consumers and consumer groups. For example, if you try to add a consumer with conflicting key-value to consumer group, you get an exception saying "Consumer 'bla' cannot be added to consumergroup 'bla-bla' because of the following conflicting key-value pairs. You need to delete these key-values from the consumer in order to add it to this consumergroup: 'conflicting-key-values' "

I guess we can change it store all conflicting consumer key-values in a dictionary and return it, or just return consumer list and let user figure out which key-values are conflicting. I will make a note to think about this for next version, but if it can't wait till then, please open an RFE.

For the 'Bind repository to consumer group' API, is this binding required if we plan to use the consumer group install/update/uninstall APIs or will pulp use the repositories that are already bound to a given consumer?

Think of a consumergroup bind as just a group operation to bind repos to multiple consumers. If consumers in a group are already bound to certain repos, that will still be intact, so answer to your question is binding a consumergroup is not required to install packages if you want to use repositories that are already bound to individual consumers.

Note: we'll want to leverage these install/update/uninstall APIs to minimize the requests to the pulp server; however, since each consumer will already have repositories bound to them, it would be ideal to leverage those consumer-repo bindings.

Thanks,
Brad