Re: [Pulp-list] Sending AMQP messages from Pulp 2.0 plugins

On 04/20/2012 10:54 PM, Jay Dobies wrote:
I'm not 100% comfortable with arbitrary messages from the plugin on
behalf of the Pulp server (meaning originating from the Pulp server's
connection) and could see an argument that it's solely on the plugin to
add that support if it wants it. That said, I'm also not 100% behind
that statement and will have to give it some more thought. What sorts of
use cases are you thinking about?

I'm only just starting to think this problem through myself. For outbound messages, I suspect I'll be completely covered if the sync summaries (both success and failure) go out on the message bus. If I need to generate other messages based on those summaries, there's no reason I need to do it inside the plugin itself. I can't think of a reason that I'd want to send a message *during* a sync operation.

For inbound messages, I'm currently thinking I'll have an independent process that is listening on the relevant AMQP bus and translates relevant messages into the appropriate calls on the Pulp REST API (specifically, I want to configure some trees to immediately request a new sync operation after being notified that a new tree is available from the data source).

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane