[Pulp-list] Issuing API commands to CDS

Hi,

I have a situation where the clients can only talk to the CDS in the datacenter, not the pulp server itself.  It seems like a good idea that consumers could issue commands to the API instead of the CDS (like rhnproxy can accept API requests).

Now I have it working to the CDS when you authenticate with with pulp-consumer (pulp-consumer -u blah -p blah consumer history) since that bypasses client certificate authentication, but I'd like to be able to use the certificate.  Of course passing the client authentication would be difficult or impossible, since it's effectively a man-in-the-middle attack.

I was thinking that maybe something like this would work:

        API call, auth to cds w/ client cert        forwards api call, auth to pulp w/ cds ubercertificate
[consumer] --------------------------------> [cds] --------------------------------------------------------> [pulp]

If this were possible, then I guess a consumer could issue basically any command to pulp.  This does work for our needs, though.  Would this be possible today, for the cds to have it's own client certificate w/ more permissions?

A complete solution would have the cds only let consumers issue commands for their own hostname I guess.  Here's my /etc/httpd/conf.d/pulp-api.conf on my CDS, working w/ username/password authentication:

SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyRequests On

<Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from *.example.com
</Proxy>

<Location /pulp/api>
        SSLCACertificateFile /etc/pki/pulp/ca.crt
        SSLVerifyClient optional
        SSLVerifyDepth 2
        SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +ExportCertData +FakeBasicAuth

        ProxyPass          https://pulp.example.com/pulp/api
        ProxyPassReverse   https://pulp.example.com/pulp/api
</Location>

- Steve

--
Stephen Benjamin
Red Hat GmbH

Reg. Adresse: Rudower Chaussee 29, D-12489 Berlin
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Mark Hegarty,Charlie Peters, Michael Cunningham, Charles Cachera