Re: [Pulp-list] Pulp init.d script

On 07/25/2012 08:40 AM, Jay Dobies wrote:
On 07/25/2012 09:35 AM, Chris St. Pierre wrote:
Might I suggest that there should be neither Pulp nor Katello init
scripts?  After all, those init scripts just call other init scripts,
which is confusing (witness OP) and can be difficult to manage.  Keep
it simple -- starting Apache starts Pulp, so we already have a Pulp
init script.  It's called "httpd" (and "mongod" and "qpidd").

That's a possibility too. The intention was to simplify things for
users; in theory it's easier to tell them to run one script (with pulp
in the name) instead of three.

But if telling people about the three feels better that might be the
right approach. That script already has problems in systemd, so removing
it entirely would make life easier than trying to find a way to replace it.

Alternatively, the *-service script suggested earlier might be the
compromise. It's outside of the systemd/initd infrastructure but still
available to those who care about it.

I like this approach. Having an init.d/systemd script/unit that just aggregates other /true/ services has always felt wrong and (as Jay mentioned) problematic. Most users will configure httpd, mongod and qpidd to start automatically. Also, when users need to bounce one of the services, it's usually to solve a particular issue that is related to the service being restarted. Using pulp's current init.d script has the unwanted side effect of bouncing the other services unnecessarily.

Another suggestion would be to symlink init.d/pulpd -> init.d/httpd. Not sure it's necessary but does have a certain symmetry with the symlink we create for the agent init.d/goferd -> init.d/pulp-agent. Not convinced this is a good idea but thought I'd throw it out there.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Jay Dobies <jason dobies redhat com>