Re: [Pulp-list] Minor usability problem with stale cached login credentials

On 03/26/2012 03:33 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
That sounds promising. For the moment I'm just using Build 0.267 with a
httpd based workaround for sync log access while a job is still running,
and I will probably stay with that approach for PulpDist 0.1.0, but
updating Pulp and replacing my current workaround with something more
robust based on set_progress() is very high on the todo list for 0.2.0.

It's taken a while, but I finally have PulpDist up to a point where I'm running some real jobs through the plugins, and I discovered a major flaw in my logging design: the full sync logs can simply get too big (on the order of ~20 MB each when initialising a tree from scratch) for it to be sensible to store them directly in the sync results. While this was enough to cause a BSON serialisation failure in the pymongo DB access layer, even if that problem could be eliminated, it would still be a serious performance issue when it comes to retrieving the sync history.

For now, I'm going to remove the logs from the Pulp data store entirely, and consider my options for the next version of PulpDist. The two main possibilities are: - continue to refine my current workaround (where sync log files are written directly to the filesystem and published independently of Pulp) - revert to a design I considered earlier, where I define a custom "sync_log" content type and store the logs in the repo itself

The latter has the nice advantage of keeping the server side of things fully contained within Pulp rather than relying on additional web server configuration to publish the sync logs directly over http(s).

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Engineering Operations, Brisbane