[Pulp-list] Important: RPM Name Issues in Pulp

We've recently encountered an issue that can arise when certain conditions are met in a repository. If a repository's comps.xml file contains a reference to an RPM that has a period in its name (RPM name itself, not the full filename), there is an issue persisting the package into the database during a sync. The main use case in which we've seen this is when synchronizing repositories containing the openoffice.org package.

The issue arises due to a restriction recent versions of pymongo places on certain usage of periods in documents. It is a recent change and, coupled with the fact that periods in RPM names is a fairly rare occurrence, helps explain why we're just now starting to see it.

After investigation, our approach is to recommend downgrading your version of pymongo if you encounter this issue. Now that we know about it, it will be resolved in 2.0 (I know, big surprise, jdob saying something's fixed in 2.0). The decision at this time is to not attempt the non-trivial fix in the v1 stream.

More information can be found on our FAQ:
https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/UGFAQ#rpmname

We apologize for any inconvenience the pymongo downgrade causes. Those responsible have been sacked.

As always, please let us know if you run into any issues.

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp