Re: [Pulp-list] v2 Repo Sync User Guide

On 05/17/2012 08:40 PM, Sayli Karmarkar wrote:
On 05/17/2012 01:59 PM, Jay Dobies wrote:
http://pulpproject.org/v2/rpm-user-guide/admin-client/repo/sync-publish.html

As usual, if anyone wants to proofread it for me it's appreciated.

Two statements "If another sync is requested, either manually or by its
schedules, it will be queued up to execute once all other pending tasks
related to that repository have resolved. For instance, ..." and "A
repository may only have one running sync operation at a time.
Attempting to trigger another manual sync while one is running will
cause the CLI to display the progress of the already running sync." seem
a bit contradicting.

First statement seems to suggest that we do allow multiple syncs to be
initiated on a repo, just that there will be only 1 running at a time
and others will be queued, while the second statement suggests that
there is no way of triggering another sync on repo. Is triggering
multiple syncs only supported in api and not cli? or is it that cli
outputs status of currently running sync but another sync is queued up
for the repo in the background?

Oh wow, great pickup. You're exactly right, I started explaining how the APIs/coordinator work without realizing that it's pointless to explain in the CLI docs since the CLI prevents it.

Something I had been thinking about is to add some sort of "force" option to say "queue it up anyway even though one is running." I'll either add this and update the docs appropriately or fix the contradicting statements.

Thanks  :D

Apart from that, really well written detailed user guide, Jay.

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp