[Pulp-list] Need a term

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 13:05:35 UTC 2012

I've been dancing around this issue for months now and it's starting to
give me a headache.

We need a way to refer to repositories that contain RPM-related content.
It comes up as a conversational thing "Is that a Puppet repository or a
___ repository?". It refers to the batch of plugins/extensions that let
us manage RPMs/errata/distributions. It'll be used in the CLI to
differentiate between the commands for puppet repositories v. these
other guys.

The two natural candidates are "yum" and "rpm".

The former is potentially confusing because there is such a thing as a
"yum repository". It's not inherently obvious if I'm talking about a
Pulp yum repository unless I qualify it (or refer to the actual yum repo
as the external source or something). Puppet doesn't really suffer from
this since they don't have a strong notion of a repository.

The latter feels awkward since it's not just RPMs, it's other (related)
stuff like errata and distributions. The term "RPM repository" is less
ambiguous in the sense that it's easier to know we're talking about the
Pulp version, but also feels misnamed.

What I'm hoping is that there's some all encompassing term for that
stuff that I'm missing.

Any ideas? The biggest thing I need to answer now is in the CLI, so keep
that focus as the priority:

pulp-admin puppet repo ...
pulp-admin ______ repo ...

Thanks  :)