[Pulp-list] Some puppet plugin issues

Peter Hehn peter.hehn at ft.com
Mon Apr 22 11:40:56 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

Congratulations on 2.1!  Very, very nice :)

I've been using Pulp since 2.08's as a private puppetforge, with some nasty
perl hacks to cobble together the json responses expected by a puppet
client.  I'm glad to see a fully functioning releases.json API in 2.1, so
I'm glad to loose one of my two hacks - how's the work on modules.json
going?

1) Since 2.1 introduced support for multiple Puppet repositories using the
password field to identify "repo-id", the Puppet client expects
modules.json in the docroot.  I had in mind setting up an apache
rewriterule to select the corresponding modules.json based on repo-id but
that would only partially work for "puppet module search" which expects the
api to filter results for the "q=<string>" argument.

2) If I fix issue 1 with a symlink, syncing Puppet modules between two Pulp
servers is broken; if I set up repo a to sync from a puppetforge feed then
set repo b to do the same from repo a, repo b produces errors when the
"repo sync run" command is issued (name-version-author appears to be
re-arranged)...

pulp-admin puppet repo sync run --repo-id=repo1
                    Synchronizing Repository [repo1]

This command may be exited by pressing ctrl+c without affecting the actual
operation on the server.

Downloading metadata...
[==================================================] 100%
Metadata Query: 1/1 items
... completed

Downloading new modules...
[==================================================] 100%
Module: 22/22 items
... completed

Could not import the following modules:

innotop-0.0.1-thomasvandoren
mysql-0.1.0-rocha
innodb_buffer_pool_size-0.0.1-dhgwilliam
mysql-0.6.1-puppetlabs
mysql-1.0.2-ghoneycutt
mysql-1.1.0-DavidSchmitt
wordpress-0.0.4-jonhadfield
mysql_yum-1.0.0-mstanislav
automysqlbackup-0.1.3-nextrevision
php-0.2.1-nodes
mysql-2.0.8-example42
mysql_proxy-0.0.1-bartavelle
hiera_mysql-0.2.0-crayfishx
mysqlexec-1.0.2-runthebusiness
mylvmbackup-1.1.0-ghoneycutt
wackopicko-0.0.1-garethr
ezpublish-0.0.2-brucem
mysql-0.0.1-rcoleman
mysqlproxy-0.0.1-rgevaert
ec2_mysql-0.0.1-gastownlabs

Publishing modules...
[==================================================] 100%
Module: 0/0 items
... completed

3) Using the sort option when searching for Puppet modules causes an error.
 For example...

pulp-admin puppet repo modules --str-eq "name=wibble" --sort="version"
--repo-id=repo1

...causes an unexpected error; if I look in ~/.pulp/admin.log...

2013-04-22 12:22:15,450 - ERROR - Client-side exception occurred
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/extensions/core.py",
line 478, in run
    exit_code = Cli.run(self, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/okaara/cli.py", line 966, in run
    exit_code = command_or_section.execute(self.prompt, remaining_args)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp/client/extensions/extensions.py",
line 224, in execute
    return self.method(*arg_list, **clean_kwargs)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp_puppet/extensions/admin/repo/modules.py",
line 46, in run
    map(lambda x : x['metadata'].pop('checksums', None), modules)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pulp_puppet/extensions/admin/repo/modules.py",
line 46, in <lambda>
    map(lambda x : x['metadata'].pop('checksums', None), modules)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'pop'

I appreciate some of these issues are due to a lack of spec from puppetlabs
wrt the puppet client / puppetforge, so I just wanted to bring them to your
attention in case you're not already aware.

Regards,

Peter Hehn

--

This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at