Re: [Pulp-list] pulp HA

On Feb 6, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Randy Barlow <rbarlow redhat com> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Steven Roberts wrote:
>> I'm thinking active-standy wouldn't be too bad to do now.  use the
>> Mongo replication features I have heard about and do an rsync of
>> the /var/lib/pulp dirs.
> I wanted to throw in a note here about Mongo's replication features. It
> has a really nice automatic replication system where the various Mongo
> nodes that are part of the replica set will vote on which one of them in
> the master. The nice thing is that they are able to automatically handle
> the scenario where the master disappears by revoting among the remaining
> nodes to decide a new master. They will only do so if a majority of the
> nodes are still able to be reached, otherwise they enter a read only
> mode.
> Because of this replication system, it is often recommended to install
> Mongo servers in odd numbers. If you'd prefer to stay lighter on
> resources, they also have a very thin system called an arbiter that
> could be installed on a small system that only participates in voting.
> With that, you could have two Pulp servers instead of the more typical
> three.
> For the /var/lib/pulp folders, an rsync setup could probably get the job
> done. Alternatively, you might be able to use a shared filesystem, or
> possible disk replication to accomplish something similar. I'm not sure
> how much testing we've done with those sort of setups, so we'd love to
> hear about it if you gain some experience in this area.

My solution was to put /var/lib/pulp on an NFS volume, publish the repos via http, and then mount the NFS volume on other VMs that act as kickstart/build web servers to distribute the repos. It took a bit of work to get the links on the other web servers right but once that was figured out, I put it into the puppet configuration for our build servers and let puppet maintain them. At some point in the future I may use our NetApps to replicate the NFS volume to other data centers so that the repo traffic stays local to each data center.

Bryce T. Pier
bryce pier capella edu