Re: [Pulp-list] pulp-puppet theory of operation/use

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 02:54:53PM -0500, Jay Dobies wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 04:50 PM, Steven Roberts wrote:
> >So, I've started my pulp-rpm rollout, and I've been thinking about
> >the pulp-puppet support.
> >
> >I want to make sure I understand how it is expected to be used correctly :)
> >
> >I would pull in modules (from puppet forge or local) into my pulp server.
> >
> >I could then push those modules out to my puppet masters to make sure
> >my puppet masters all have the modules (and version of thsoe modules)
> >they are supposed to have.
> The versions part is important to realize. You can set up Pulp to
> automatically keep the puppet masters up to date (big asterisk there
> I'll explain later) or you can use it as the staging location to
> promote tested modules up into production repos and then out to
> puppet masters.

we currently have the modules in version control so that is handling
it, but I would like to decouple the puppet mdoules we are using from
the other puppet config.  And with puppet 3.x and native hiera support
that is a LOT more doable.  And I think pulp puppet support may be a
good vehicle for that.

We have some heavy puppet module refactoring in the next few months
to do to hiera based (and 3.x from 2.6), so sounds like a good time
to try out pulp for the puppet module repo.

> >Does that sounds about right?
> >
> >Guess it really only would be a win if you have more than a couple of
> >puppet masters.  And actually for my $dayjob puppet deployment that
> >would be the case most likely.
> I think the promotions concept is a big feature here. The ability to
> organize your modules into repos, as compared to a big single
> location like puppet forge, I suspect people will really get into
> once they play with it. And like Lukas said, Pulp has a strong query
> mechanism for auditing purposes.
> Big Asterisk: The puppet master support is coming in 2.1. :)

this was at first confusing me since puppet masters would just
use "pulp-admin puppet consumer" then when I went looking for
that comand I see it ain't there yet :)

so in 2.0 we've got the repo side going and in theory could then
point "puppet module" at the pulp server and get modules installed
and updated on the pupept master that way.