Re: [Pulp-list] Pulp and Satellite

Hi Simon,

rhinfra 0ack com wrote:
I gather we can mirror RHEL, but am wondering how.  The steps I've seen
describe a system that is directly registered to RHN, but our machines
are registered to satellite.

I was thinking we would need to set the feed from our satellite machine,
but I can't see how to do that with pulp-admin.  Maybe I can't (and
shouldn't) and should register the pulp server with RHN, then use a feed
from RHN?

It sounds like you are using Pulp 2 along side an older version of Satellite than Pulp 2 is designed to be integrated with. Pulp 2 is going to be part of Satellite 6, which isn't released yet.

You can register Pulp directly to RHN. Here are some instructions that detail how to add the CDN feed to Pulp:

https://pulp-rpm-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/pulp-2.1/recipes.html#sync-a-protected-repo

It might be possible to use a similar set of steps to register Pulp to the Satellite server, but I am not familiar enough with Satellite to be able to offer you helpful instructions. You will just need to know a few things for your Satellite Server:

1) A CA certificate,

2) An entitlement certificate,

3) Private key for the entitlement certificate

4) Feed URL for the server's repo

So with pulp, at the first step we should then be able to use the pulp
server for the kickstart url and for managing the repos that hosts
update from (replacing 2 of the items listed above), while the machines
will still register with Satellite.  Does that sound right/sane?

Due to my unfamiliarity with Satellite 5, it's difficult for me to make suggestions about how you might use Pulp alongside it. What you are proposing doesn't sound *in*sane to me though :)

Lastly nothing to do with satellite, but how do I get more details about
a pulp rpm repo that has been previously created?
pulp-admin rpm repo list
will show a couple of basic items about the repos, but how can I find
out its current published location or whether it deletes old rpms or
what its feed is?

rpm repo list has a --details flag. See --help for other options on the list or other commands.

Thanks for using Pulp!

--
Randy Barlow
Raleigh, NC, USA