[Pulp-list] Pulp and Satellite

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 14:05:15 UTC 2013

Hi Simon,

rhinfra at 0ack.com wrote:
> I gather we can mirror RHEL, but am wondering how.  The steps I've seen
> describe a system that is directly registered to RHN, but our machines
> are registered to satellite.
>
> I was thinking we would need to set the feed from our satellite machine,
> but I can't see how to do that with pulp-admin.  Maybe I can't (and
> shouldn't) and should register the pulp server with RHN, then use a feed
> from RHN?

It sounds like you are using Pulp 2 along side an older version of
Satellite than Pulp 2 is designed to be integrated with. Pulp 2 is going
to be part of Satellite 6, which isn't released yet.

You can register Pulp directly to RHN. Here are some instructions that
detail how to add the CDN feed to Pulp:

https://pulp-rpm-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/pulp-2.1/recipes.html#sync-a-protected-repo

It might be possible to use a similar set of steps to register Pulp to
the Satellite server, but I am not familiar enough with Satellite to be
able to offer you helpful instructions. You will just need to know a few
things for your Satellite Server:

1) A CA certificate,

2) An entitlement certificate,

3) Private key for the entitlement certificate

4) Feed URL for the server's repo

> So with pulp, at the first step we should then be able to use the pulp
> server for the kickstart url and for managing the repos that hosts
> update from (replacing 2 of the items listed above), while the machines
> will still register with Satellite.  Does that sound right/sane?

Due to my unfamiliarity with Satellite 5, it's difficult for me to make
suggestions about how you might use Pulp alongside it. What you are
proposing doesn't sound *in*sane to me though :)

> Lastly nothing to do with satellite, but how do I get more details about
> a pulp rpm repo that has been previously created?
> pulp-admin rpm repo list
> will show a couple of basic items about the repos, but how can I find
> out its current published location or whether it deletes old rpms or
> what its feed is?

rpm repo list has a --details flag. See --help for other options on the
list or other commands.

Thanks for using Pulp!

--
Randy Barlow