[Pulp-list] Bandwidth Limit pulp collectively over all syncs

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 19:46:32 UTC 2014

Hi Ben, I don't believe Pulp supports a bandwidth limit as an aggregate across all syncs. If it did limit the aggregate bandwidth across all syncs it would probably have negative performance implications (ie: N syncs would each be rate limited to 1/N regardless of if other syncs are using all of their allocated bandwidth or not). You can do this outside of Pulp pretty easily. For a single machine, I recommend investigating bandwidth limiting by process as a general Linux topic. For multiple machine installs you could limit each machine to 1/N for a total potential bandwidth usage of N, or you could use a proxy or clustered proxy to rate limit the aggregate connections of syncs that would flow through the proxy.

If you want, you could open an RFE for Pulp to better document this approach to multi-sync rate limiting.

-Brian