[Pulp-list] mongodb crash

Randy Barlow rbarlow at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 16:44:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 07:01:40AM -0800, Henri Jubin wrote:
> I am having problems with the mongdb package required by pulp.  When installing the  pulp-server group the package mongodb v2.4.6.1 present in the actual epel repository is crashing at the start stage
>
> After several tries this version DOES not work in RHEL 6.2 and 6.2 til level6.5++
> There are several entries in the net about that and the recommendation is to install the new mongodb named mongo-10gen.
>
> When doing that prior to install the pulp-server group will give a reject at the "yum groupinstall pulp-server" as it is looking for mongodb and not mongo-10gen.
>
> I dont know yet if the install will work when forcing the install.  But if mongo-10gen works ok please tell me! It will be nice then to remove from the rpm requirement mongodb and put in the documentation as a prerequisit instead.

Hi Henri,

I fully agree that mongodb should not be required by our package. In
fact, I just now made a commit[0] to do this for our 2.4 release. That
release is going to focus a lot on making Pulp scalable, so it is
important for us to avoid assuming that mongodb should be on the same
host as Pulp. I've also removed our dependency on qpidd[1] for the same
reasons.

Pulp 2.4 still has some ground to cover before it is released, so in the
meantime I suggest that you either:

1) Run mongo-10gen on a different host, and put that hostname in your
Pulp's server.conf. If you do this, you will have to install Mongo on
the Pulp server as well, but nothing says you have to start it there or
use it. It'll be a little weird, but not bad. I should be forward that
we have not QE'd Pulp against the 10gen build of Mongo, so I can't
guarantee that Pulp will work perfectly with it. However, I'd be quite
surprised if you did experience any problems due to using their build of
MongoDB.

2) Upgrade to RHEL 6.5 so that you can use the EPEL provided Mongo
package.

We apologize for the confusion this has caused you, and we look forward
to the 2.4 release removing these kinds of restrictions!

[0] https://github.com/pulp/pulp/commit/e9dce6b10c5f44881da5e60f3c91d441adbac99e
[1] https://github.com/pulp/pulp/commit/5fcba56d8ca91bd30a1b59dd81a0a62757b74b07

--
Randy Barlow