[Pulp-list] What to do with Puppet Deployment

Sean Myers sean.myers at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 16:55:25 UTC 2015

On 11/30/2015 04:55 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
> For a variety of reasons, not least of which is that Katello has a
> project that has the same purpose[0], the Pulp team is unable to maintain the Puppet
> Deployment repository[1]. I'd like to have a discussion here about the
> future of the repository. Here are a few possibilities, feel free to
> suggest you own ideas in response:

I assume it's probably not worth going into, but I'm vaguely curious
about the other reasons.

> 0) We could remove the repository.

I think this is a little extreme. Even if it's deprecated, I think
there's value in leaving the code around for anyone still using it.

"If I serve no other purpose, may I at least serve as a bad example." :)

> 1) We could make the repository's README state that it is deprecated,
> and provide a link to the Katello project.

I prefer this, more details below.

> 1.5) We could remove all code from the repository, leaving only the
> README about how it is deprecated and to use the Katello repository.

This is also a little extreme.

> 2) Someone from the community who is proficient at Puppet could take
> ownership of maintaining the repository, including pull request review
> and fixing issues.

Would that person do more good helping out the katello project, though?

> Any other ideas or thoughts?

I think the best possible outcome is to leave all the code available for
those that might still be using it, make sure the project is clearly
deprecated, and provide some examples for migrating from the deprecated
module to the katello module if possible.

Gaps in functionality between the pulp module and the katello module
should be identified; if found, those gaps should be tracked as
enhancement requests on the katello module.