[Pulp-list] [dev] create custom mongoengine field for datetime?

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 17:45:57 UTC 2015

In converting to mongoengine, we have not yet thought through this
problem. I agree with your two approaches and assessment.

Using the UTCDateTimeField is a good short term solution because it will
be simple to implement. By doing the timezone conversion in to_python()
we can avoid littering the code with calls to ensure_tz(). The models
will need to switch their field type to the UTCDateTimeField, so we'll
know exactly where it is/isn't used.

Then over time, we can reduce usage of UTCDateTimeField. Long term, I
think pulp should use non-timezone aware, UTC for everything. Eventually
we could remove UTCDateTimeField. What do you/others think about this
long-term idea?

Note, the ISO8601Field will still work the way it does here with its
custom field definition.
https://github.com/pulp/pulp/blob/master/server/pulp/server/db/fields.py#L14

-Brian