[Pulp-list] /var/lib/pulp on glusterfs?

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 14:09:10 UTC 2015

I personally haven't used Pulp with /var/lib/pulp hosted on glusterfs,
but it should work. I've heard from others that they've specifically
done it, and that it worked for them.

The clustering guide [0] outlines Pulp's storage system requirements
in agnostic of a specific filesystem. That should have all the
necessary details regarding mount points, POSIX user permissions,
SELinux labels, etc.

For performance testing of the disk-heavy Pulp operations, I would
probably test sync, publish, re-sync, re-publish. I would also sync
from a large, on-premise high speed content source (ie: a local sync'd
copy of RHEL or EPEL). I would try to ensure the network could serve
the bits to Pulp during a sync or re-sync faster than the disk
operations of Pulp which would cause the Pulp disk speed to become the
rate limiting component. Good testing methodology should be used. For
example, have the system serving the hosted content Pulp is syncing
from be a separate system that the device under test (Pulp+glusterfs).

Also, maybe look through the importer and distributor options that are
being used to see what impact those have on performance.

It would be great if you share any benchmarks that you do with the
Pulp community.

[0]:
http://pulp.readthedocs.org/en/latest/user-guide/scaling.html#clustering
- -pulp