Re: [Pulp-list] PostgreSQL/Django Support

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 13:14 -0400, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I found the release note from django that talks about not supporting postgres 8.4 in django 1.8: h
> ttps://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/releases/1.8/#support-for-postgresql-versions-older-than-9-0
>
> Are you aware of any actual incompatibility? Or are they not supporting postgres before 9.0,
> because upstream postgres doesn't support it?
>
> This certainly isn't ideal, but I wonder if django 1.8 would happily work on postgres 8.4, and
> we'd just be on our own if stuff goes wrong. And obviously we couldn't use any new postgres-
> specific features in that case. Or maybe there actually are backward-incompatible API changes in
> 9.0?

I am not aware of any real world incopatibiliity, but I am hesitant to say we should support
something outside of the dependency tree of someting we are utilizing.  Django's codebase in 1.8
could make some assumptions for it's PostgreSQL connection to be utilizing a server >= 9.0, and
could have unpredictable behavior when connecting to a PostgreSQL 8.4 server. At least by utilizing
Django 1.7 for PostgreSQL 8.4 installs, we will have predictable behaviors.

This is pure speculation at this point, but is a reasonable assumption in my opinion.