[Pulp-list] Long upgrade times from 2.6 -> 2.8

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 15:23:05 UTC 2016

I think there are a couple of considerations.

 1) The first issue is that a 6-18 hour upgrade window is not something
users expect and we've not been warning them of such so they can plan an
outage accordingly. Lengthy upgrades also have that tendency to make users
feel something is wrong or increase the risk that something can go wrong in
between.
 2) The fundamental question of - is this a bug or does this make perfect
sense and how it has to work?
 3) Applying the upgrade on an existing 2.6 if it changed nothing of the
environment could work, the tough part is having to distribute that
backwards. Pulp would have to distribute it back to 2.6, and Katello would
have to push out patches to our 2.4 release channel.

Eric