[Pulp-list] [devel] Create a `devel` repository for Pulp

Jeremy Cline jcline at redhat.com
Mon Jun 27 13:01:21 UTC 2016

On 06/24/2016 03:07 PM, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> On naming, I have a slight preference toward keeping the pulp_ prefix
> convention, but that might just be rooted in habit. My general feeling is
> that the name of a git repo should stand on its own, and the fact that it
> may be present on github within a particular user or organization's
> namespace does not displace the value of the name itself being fully
> descriptive.
>
> If I fork pulp/contrib, I end up with mhrivnak/contrib. Yes, the list of my
> repos will show that is was forked from pulp/contrib, but it still seems
> weird. I have to go to github to see that. If someone forked it from me,
> now the original name's context is hard to find.

You can always rename your fork pulp_contrib if you really want to.

> Even when I merely clone it, I'd get a local directory named "contrib".
> Perhaps others already organize their local git clones by organization, but
> I've always just had a flat directory of stuff that's been cloned from all
> over, because the repo names are usually fully descriptive.

I use directories to sort all the projects I contribute to and I guess
I assumed everyone else did as well, but renaming your fork on GitHub
also solves this problem for you, as does `git clone <url>
<dir_name_of_your_choice>`.

--
Jeremy Cline
XMPP: jeremy at jcline.org