[Pulp-list] pulp without consumer agents

Ashby, Jason (IMS) AshbyJ at imsweb.com
Thu Mar 31 15:26:18 UTC 2016

Hmm, I’m interested in hearing more about the agentless consumer proposal as well.

I recently removed pulp from of all my consumers completely and instead have only the Pulp server. I use puppet to deploy the yum.repos.d files and sslcacert that needs to present on the consumers. I use good old-fashioned ssh to do the yum updates.

I’ve been using pulp for about 2+ years, and I’ve always battled with SSL cert issues (we have a root CA so I was dealing with an intermediary cert for the pulp server which was tricky) as well as message queues (qpid and rabbitmq) always going down either from the messaging server or the consumer/agent itself.  This is not to say it was pulp’s fault, but I felt like it was overkill for only 300ish servers we need to manage.  This new setup we’re using is way simpler and less for me to manage…just a server serving pulp repos.