[Pulp-list] A repository download policy set to background means?

Wed May 11 07:56:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, 11 May 2016 01:16:18 -0400
"Lutchy Horace (Mailing List)"
<mailinglist.subscriptions at lhprojects.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To avoid flooding the mailing list with multiple E-Mails, I'll
> be collapsing a few questions into one E-Mail.
>
> 1. I had assumed a completed sync task meant it pulled remote packages
> onto the pulp server. The documentation isn't quite clear on this
> subject because this does not seem to be the case?
>
> 2. Going through bug reports in regards to download policies, the
> picture is clearer regarding immediate and on_demand policies but
> quite vague about what background policy do?
>
> 3. Do you really need to download content units onto the pulp server?
> 	3.a. If not, how does this work? Does consumers contact the
> 	origin servers directly?
> 	3.b. If yes, what is difference of scheduling a sync task and
> 	not a "download" task?
>
> Regards

While resolving an entirely different issue regarding pulp, I stumbled
on https://media.readthedocs.org/pdf/pulp/stable/pulp.pdf and
http://pulp.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user-guide/deferred-download.html.
Which elaborates a bit more on what each download policy actually does.
So far, I've installed python-pulp-streamer and varnish on the same
box, although I am bit confuse as to why I would need an additional
'Reverse Proxy' in the stack. That at least fixes the 'No more mirrors
left to try' problem I was facing on consumers.

Regards

--
Lutchy Horace
Owner/Operator/Administrator [http://www.lhprojects.net]