[Pulp-list] Pulp 3.0 and future requirements?

Dagan McGregor list at sudo.nz
Tue May 2 00:11:14 UTC 2017

On 2 May 2017 3:20:28 AM NZST, Brian Bouterse <bbouters at redhat.com> wrote:
>Hi Dagen,
>
>For Pulp 3.0.0, the feature set is mostly known with user use cases
>tracked
>in a document on the wiki. The doc [0] is written as a minimum viable
>product so we can deliver something that provides Pulp's core value in
>timely manner and then we can add features to it over time. Some
>notable
>gaps include no authorization, nodes has been removed, and so have
>scheduled calls. One notable addition is a legitimate Plugin API to
>ease
>the burden for plugin writers adding content support.
>
>Pulp3 will only use PostgreSQL, which will entirely replace Pulp's
>usage of
>mongodb. It's good to hear this will match your standard operating
>environment.
>
>In terms of Nagios, I'm more familiar with that as a management system
>instead of httpd. I'd have to hear more about what you would like in
>terms
>Nagios support. In terms of using Nagios for monitoring, the Status API
>is
>available in Pulp2 and will also be in Pulp3.
>
>There is a developer mailing list called pulp-dev which is where most
>of
>the Pulp3 discussion is currently happening. You can join it [1] or
>read
>the archives [2]. We also have weekly calls [3] where each week we
>refine a
>section of the MVP with more details.
>
>If you have specific use cases, suggestions, or ideas, please let us
>know!
>We would really like some alpha/beta testing, which we hope to be
>starting
>soon but we are just a bit early for. Right now making sure the use
>cases
>are sound is one of the best ways to contribute.
>
>[0]:
>https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp/wiki/Pulp_3_Minimum_Viable_Product
>[2]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-dev/
>[3]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/pulp-list/2017-April/msg00010.html
>
>-Brian
>

>On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Dagan McGregor <list at sudo.nz> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been looking at installing Pulp for managing our local rpm
>> repositories and I am curious about what changes are planned or
>confirmed
>> for Pulp 3.0.
>>
>> Our site standard is to run PostgreSQL and Nagios for services
>wherever
>> possible, having migrated off httpd.
>>
>> Will Pulp 3.0 continue using MongoDB or will other databases like
>> PostgreSQL be supported as well?
>>
>> And are there any plans to have Nagios support alongside the current
>httpd?
>>
>> I did find a blog article but nothing else mentioned. I am happy to
>help
> [...]

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

I had a major brain fade. I meant to say *Nginx support* for web services.

As Homer would say, D'oh!

I see the current design uses httpd and mod_wsgi. I assume not all features may match with using something like Nginx and uWSGi.

It would be nice as an option if possible, if changes are still being considered.

I will join the dev list to follow the discussions there.

Cheers,
Dagan McGregor