[Pulp-list] [Pulp-dev] Documentation Systemd clarification?

Brian Bouterse bbouters at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 16:01:02 UTC 2019

I moved this convo to pulp-list since it's focused on user usage of Pulp3
versus the development of Pulp itself (on pulp-dev at redhat.com). See some
answers to Pulp3 usage questions inline. More questions are welcome!

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 4:49 AM Juan Cabrera <juan.cabrera at unamur.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the modifications. I'm more gitlab user than github so I'm
> not familiar with PR procedure.

It is not clear if the PULP_SETTINGS environment is not used any more. In
> this case the paragraph
>
> "Make sure to substitute
> Environment=PULP_SETTINGS=/path/to/pulp/server.yaml with the real
> location of configuration file
> <https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/configuration.html#id1>
> ."
>
> Should be changed by
>
> Make sure that the configuration file
> <https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/configuration.html#id1>
> /etc/pulp/settings.py exist.

The /etc/pulp/settings.py file isn't needed at all anymore. This change (
https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/63 ) hopefully removes reference to
it leaving this section (
https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/configuration.html
) to be the main authority. My PR tries to clarify that section also.

do this in my PR also after checking with @asmacdo on it.

>  And the last difference I see, is that the systemd services are
> different. There are no worker in /etc/systemd/system/ but an pulp-api
> service
>
> [root at dev-pulp-server ~]# ls /etc/systemd/system/pulp-*
> /etc/systemd/system/pulp-api.service
> /etc/systemd/system/pulp-resource-manager.service
>
> The worker service seems to be moved to /usr/lib/systemd/system/
>
> [root at dev-pulp-server ~]# ls /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulp-*
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulp-content-app.service
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/pulp-worker at .service

I'll look more into this, but I wanted to get what I had out to the list.

> Sincerely
>
> Juan
>
> On 1/04/19 23:13, Brian Bouterse wrote:
>
> I made a docs issue [0] and a PR to adjust the systemd settings this [1].
> Since dynaconf configures it now, I believe removing this from the systemd
> file is the best resolution.
>
> [0]: https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4622
> [1]: https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/pull/63
>
> Please let us know if there is anything else we can improve on.
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 1:11 PM Mike DePaulo <mikedep333 at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 4:44 AM Juan Cabrera <juan.cabrera at unamur.be>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> At the section about Systemd :
>>>

>>> https://docs.pulpproject.org/en/3.0/nightly/installation/instructions.html#systemd
>>>
>>> It is said that the default config file is /etc/pulp/server.yaml.
>>>
>>> In the installed VM there is not a Environment=PULP_SETTINGS=/path/to/pulp/server.yaml
>>> line in the pulp-resource-manager.service file and the configuration
>>> file is named `/etc/pulp/settings.py`. Some thing must be updated in
>>> the documentation?
>>>
>>> The file contents in the VM are:
>>>
>>> [root at dev-pulp-server system]# cat
>>> /etc/systemd/system/pulp-resource-manager.service
>>> [Unit]
>>> Description=Pulp Resource Manager
>>> After=network-online.target
>>> Wants=network-online.target
>>>
>>> # This service will break if left running while PostgreSQL restarts.
>>> BindsTo=postgresql.service
>>> After=postgresql.service
>>>
>>> [Service]
>>> Environment="DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=pulpcore.app.settings"
>>> User=pulp
>>> WorkingDirectory=/var/run/pulp-resource-manager/
>>> RuntimeDirectory=pulp-resource-manager