[Pulp-list] artifact creation using chunk upload of big package

Juan Cabrera juan.cabrera at unamur.be
Fri Jul 5 16:11:21 UTC 2019

Hi David,

I created an issue https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5092

> For the failed chunk uploads, httpie is timing out. You can set a
> higher timeout (like you did) or use smaller chunks.
In my case, for uploading the 300MB chunks I have no problem. Is when
creating the artifact that fails.

> I looked into why artifact creation is failing for files < 2GB. The
> reason is that it's taking too long to calculate the checksums. There
> are 6 checksum types and each one takes about 4-8 seconds from the
> command line in my test environment. Calculating the digests in Python
> seems to add about 1-2 seconds. The default timeout in gunicorn is 30
> seconds:
>
> Jul 05 14:21:56 pulp3 gunicorn[13691]: [2019-07-05 14:21:56 +0000]
> [13691] [CRITICAL] WORKER TIMEOUT (pid:29843)
> Jul 05 14:21:57 pulp3 gunicorn[13691]: [2019-07-05 14:21:57 +0000]
> [30031] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 30031
I see the same error. I have a VM with 2 CPU and 2 workers. Do I need to
add more workers?

> You can raise this timeout or also you can pass in the checksums when
> creating the artifact[0]. I think the best solution though might be to
> make artifact creation a background task.
>
> [0] http POST :24817/pulp/api/v3/artifacts/ upload=$UPLOAD sha256=abc...

I passed the sha256 but still have a WORKER TIMEOUT problem. I suppose
it has to calculate also md5, sha1, sha224, sha384, sha512 which takes time.

Where can I increase the  WORKER TIMEOUT ?

Juan