Re: [Pulp-list] [Pulp-dev] Pulp 2 to 3 Migration meeting on Wednesday June 19th

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 7:54 AM Dennis Kliban <dkliban redhat com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 2:10 PM Eric Helms <ehelms redhat com> wrote:
Thanks for these updates.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, 1:59 PM Tatiana Tereshchenko <ttereshc redhat com> wrote:
The logs from the meeting can be viewed here[0].

We covered:
  - hard links approach for "migrating" files, good or bad; alternatives
    * current plan: Pulp 3's migration task will migrate content by either creating a hard link in the Pulp 3 artifact storage location or by copying it there if hard links are not supported. There will be a way to see how much content has been migrated and how much is left.

In the copy case, will Pulp 3 migrations prevent a user from potentially filling their disk up and ending up in a broken state?

Definitely. Pulp will check the type of filesystem the user has. If it supports hardlinks it will check that there is some sane amount of space available. If it doesn't support hard links it will check that there is at least as much free space as space already used by /var/lib/pulp. Pulp will notify the user if there is not enough space.
This sounds good. I want to point out that Pulp2 could still be writing to the filesystem while the migration plan is applied by Pulp3 causing the initial "we're good" check to possibly later fail. I'm ok w/ that I just wanted to point out this case and that we are not planning to handle it.

I'm also contemplating what would happen if we don't support migrations on filesystems that don't support hardlinks. To my knowledge, and from the feedback recently about what filesystems our users use in the community survey, all of them support hardlinks. Does it make any sense to wait to develop the "copy fallback" when we know a user will need it? Does anyone know that we will need to migrate on filesystems without hard links?

  - protected repos migration
    * current plan: CertGuards witll be created and associated with Distributions in Pulp3. The Migration Plan will provide the ability to configure which repositories content protection is migrated for to Pulp 3.

The etherpad [1] is updated with the suggested changes to the Migration Plan structure, you can see it in the examples for use cases on lines L316, L325.