[Rdo-list] RDO packages for Marconi and Barbican

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 18:29:37 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 01:19 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 12/13/2013 12:53 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
>> Is there a plan to package Marconi and Barbican as RDO packages ?
> Hi Tim,
>
> Good questions :)
>
> I don't know what the concrete timelines are, but certainly I think
> Marconi (being already incubated) should be packaged for RDO Icehouse in
> the near future.
>
> Flavio, do you have more specific/concrete plans around when that would
> get done?
>
> As for Barbican, I'm a little less certain of that.  Mainly because at
> this point it has not gone up for incubation yet (at least from what I
> recall).
>
> Our general rule of thumb has been to wait for a project to be incubated
> before packaging.  We could certainly make an exception if we feel the
> need though.
>
> Dmitri/Adam, what are your guys' thoughts on Barbican?
>
> Perry
We are not directly involved in Barbican. To the best of my knowledge
its primary focus is to provide certificate issuance to the cervices and
applications running in the cloud. We have been focusing more on the
certificates for the cloud infra itself.
The short term plan is to leverage certmonger on the client side
(leverading Linux platform under OpenStack) to fetch certs from
Certmaster/FreeIPA/Dogtag to bootstrap the undercloud and overcloud and
then provide FreeIPA/Dogtag as a back end for Barbican.
But for it to be a viable solution upstream Dogtag should be usable in
the upstream dev environment so we are workign on making FreeIPA/Dogtag
available in Debian for dev purposes. Once it is done we would be able
to get in touch with Barbican team again. Absence of Debian availability
was a showstopper for a conversation about Barbican.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.