[Rdo-list] "Local ip for ovs agent must be set when tunneling is enabled"

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 04:16:42 UTC 2013

I've seen a few questions recently where people have run packstack and
had it fail with the following error:

    Local ip for ovs agent must be set when tunneling is enabled

...even when everything was set up correctly.  I ran into this today
and here's what was happening:

- I set up /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 (and run
  "ifup eth1").
- NetworkManager decided that despite the NM_CONTROLLED=no it was
  going to manage it anyway because it didn't have a HWADDR set.
  Thanks, NetworkManager.
- Packstack disables NetworkManager.
- NetworkManager took the interface with it.  Thanks, NetworkManager.
- Packstack tries to configure neutron but the interface no longer has
  an address so it bails with the above error.

Of course, subsequently running "ifup eth1" and re-reunning packstack
works just fine, because at this point NetworkManager is no longer
running.  This is confusing to people because it looks like the exact
sequence of steps they performed prior to the initial failure.

I've just modified my provisioning scripts to make sure NetworkManager
is stopped, disabled, and removed (and that the "network" service is
enabled) prior to mucking about with network interface configuration.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter