[Rdo-list] partially broken VLAN tagging support

Matthew Mosesohn mmosesohn at mirantis.com
Thu Nov 14 12:26:08 UTC 2013

Hi RDO list,

There are some serious issues with VLAN tagging in
OVS with the current RDO kernel posted here:
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-grizzly/epel-6/kernel-2.6.32-358.123.2.openstack.el6.x86_64.rpm

The issue is that tagged frames get dropped somewhere at the network
stack and never actually make it out to the network. These should work
natively with this kernel, but we're seeing serious issues. The two
specific drivers affected are e1000e and bnx. This applies on just
about any 10gigE hardware. According to this doc, they should work
natively without the OVS VLAN splintering hack:
https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/289823

There's an old patch we're looking at that may help a bit, but it
doesn't apply cleanly.
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2011-April/005026.html .
We're looking at this code segment in net/8021q/vlan_core.c and are
trying to understand why vlan_gro_common changed parameters:

EXPORT_SYMBOL(vlan_dev_vlan_
id);

static gro_result_t
vlan_gro_common(struct napi_struct *napi, struct vlan_group *grp,
                unsigned int vlan_tci, struct sk_buff *skb)

I'm told that enabling the OVS splinter mode sometimes causes unwanted
behavior and we want to avoid activating it. I was wondering if anyone
can comment on this issue and if there's anyone working on a relevant
fix.

Best Regards,
Matthew Mosesohn