[Rdo-list] Query regarding RDO Juno-1 install on CentOS7

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:39:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Patrick Laimbock <patrick at laimbock.com>
wrote:

> On 29-12-14 14:06, Deepak Shetty wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I was able to install 3-node RDO juno-1 (rdo-release-juno-1.noarch)
>> over CentOS7, but at the end of install it gave me this ...
>> Questions prefixed with Q: inline below:
>>
>> Additional information:
>> * Time synchronization installation was skipped. Please note that
>> unsynchronized time on server instances might be problem for some
>> OpenStack components.
>>
>> *Q: Do i need to sue ntpd to ensure all my systems are in sync, whats
>> the recommended way here ?*
>>

> All your nodes need to have the correct time. You can specify an NTP
> server in the Packstack answer file or as a CLI option and then Packstack
> will configure your nodes to use that NTP server. If you don't specify an
> NTP server then Packstack doesn't handle NTP so you will have to do it
> yourself. Either way, make sure that all nodes always have the correct time.

FWIW, i did the below and re-ran my packstack:

CONFIG_NTP_SERVERS= <my intranet's time server> in my answers file

# packstack --answer-file ./packstack-answers.txt
It showed ...

Installing time synchronization via NTP [ DONE ]
..

Now checking on my nodes, I don't still see NTP service running...

[root at rhsdev4 ~]# ps aux| grep ntp
root     20433  0.0  0.0 112640   960 pts/0    S+   13:58   0:00 grep
--color=auto ntp

[root at rhsdev4 ~]# systemctl status ntpd.service
ntpd.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

[root at rhsdev4 ~]# systemctl status ntpdate.service
ntpdate.service - Set time via NTP
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpdate.service; disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

*Now what did i do wrong ? :)*
thanx,
deepak