[Rdo-list] libvirtd default configuration

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 21:47:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 07:14:07PM +0000, Dafna Ron wrote:
> perhaps we have a misunderstanding... yogev wrote in the bug:
> configuration doesn't write logs -> no libvirt log exists :)
> libvirtd.conf currently has # for any logging  - which means nothing
> is logged for libvirt, no debug, info, warn or error will be logged
> at all because the logs for libvirt are disabled.
> we did have an error where a libvirt domain was killed and I wanted
> to look at the libvirt log to see what happened and this is when we
> found no log exists...
> after we manually changed the libvirtd.conf file a libvirt log was
> created and than we also changed the log level to debug so that we
> can debug something :)

Agreed, this can be a little frustrating during full crashes. I noted
some more points in the bug, to keep discussions/questions intact,
further discussions please redirect there.

> basically, we can debate the debug log level issue but can we agree
> that a log should exist and log erros?

Please note:

 - You can do "tail -f foo.log" style monitoring, by default, for
   libvirtd service:

        $  journalctl -f --unit=libvirtd

   So, you should at-least see some kind of errors, warnings there.

 - And, Some amount of guest specific logs go --
   /var/log/libvirt/qemu/guest.log

> On 02/05/2014 06:56 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
> >On 02/05/2014 01:44 PM, Dafna Ron wrote:
> >>Perry,
> >>
> >>in current setups nothing is logged at all, i.e there is no libvirt log
> >>until we configure the conf file to log something...
> >See Kashyap's earlier email.  By default libvirt logs to syslog with a
> >default log level of 3, which logs warnings and errors.
> >
> >If you are seeing no warnings or errors, then that's a good thing and
> >under normal circumstances should be sufficient.
> >
> >Increasing the verbosity to log Info (or Debug) should be something the
> >system administrator CHOOSES to do, not something a tool like packstack
> >forces you to do.
> >
> >See my comment on that bug.  I fully support making it easy for
> >packstack to increase the verbosity of libvirt logging, but agree with
> >Dan and others that increasing it by default is make a decision for
> >sysadmins when they should be making the decision themselves.
> >
> >Perry
>

> --
> Dafna Ron

/kashyap