Re: [Rdo-list] Why do I need KVM, XEN, if I can use Docker / LXC?

On 02/18/2014 04:57 PM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:28:20PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
>From Krishnan Subramanian on his blog:
"As we move from a world of virtual machines to a world of containers, Red
Hat and Docker will emerge as two key players shaping the landscape"
Honestly, don't read too much into any single blog post.

Totally agree... Experiences with Solaris Containers PROOVES, that Container Technology has very specific use cases, and typically fails due to OPERATIONAL incapabilities of the organisations...

So, Docker as well as containers will not be the solution to all things "virtualization" as well as "management"...

Still, Docker is an important part, but it will definitively NOT replace hypervisors (Type 1!). With Type 1 hypervisors standard operations can still be applied (on top of RHEV or VMware!), and that's the simply reason, why they've been so successful!

    Matthias

http://allthingsplatforms.com/platforms/the-importance-of-red-hat-docker-partnership/

--
Red Hat GmbH